Did you know that most humans spend their time in the bathroom thinking? These days, the bathroom is no longer just a place we go to when nature calls or when we need to clean up. More and more homeowners are remodeling their bathrooms and turning it into a spa-like sanctuary.
One of the first things a homeowner focuses on when they start planning a bathroom remodel is the shower area. It is only natural that they’d want to beautify this area. After all, there is nothing like the feeling of warm water running over your skin after a long day.
If you are one of these homeowners, you’re probably here because you’re looking for tips on how to buy the best frameless shower door for your bathroom. Well, you’re in luck! In this buying guide, we discussed the different types of shower doors and glass, the essential things to consider when buying one, and so much more! Plus, we also reviewed some of the most popular frameless shower doors in the market.
Top 6 Frameless Shower Door Reviews
1. DreamLine Unidoor: Amazing Quality at an Affordable Price
The first on our list is the DreamLine Unidoor. This shower door can instantly add an elegant touch to your old bathroom. It has a sleek frameless design which looks like it was an expensive glass door that was especially made for you. The width is adjustable from 51 to 55 inches thus making a perfect fit for any bathroom.
This is an easy to install frameless shower door that comes with chrome or brush Nickle hardware finish (your choice) and clear tempered glass. The tempered glass is thick (10mm) which ensures that it won’t break easily. This product is ANSI certified and comes with a lifetime manufacturer warranty. One of the best things about this shower door is that fact that if you’re skilled in doing some basic handyman work around your home, you won’t even need to hire a contractor to install this for you.
- Easy to install
- Thick tempered glass
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- You will have to reinforce the joints with silicone to prevent leaks
2. Tropical Art Glass Inc.: Custom Cut to Fit Your Shower
- Custom made from 24" to 28" 72" to 78" Frameless shower door to your...
- 3/8 Thickness (10 mm)
- Polished edge
If your walk-in shower doesn’t fall under the standard measurements, this is the shower door for you! Before placing your order, you need to measure your shower opening carefully so you can give the right specifications to the company. Yes, this frameless shower door is custom cut! Which means, it will fit your irregularly shaped shower provided that you gave them the correct measurements!
The Tropical Glass Art Inc. frameless shower door comes with a 10mm tempered glass, a polished edge, and a combination of brushed Nickle and chrome hardware. It is effortless to install – you won’t even have to hire someone to do it for you! You don’t have to worry about your order getting damaged during shipping because the company takes extra care to make sure this doesn’t happen by packing the doors securely.
- Custom cut
- Carefully wrapped to ensure it won’t get damaged during shipping
- Excellent customer service
- Some of the screws in the package may be too small
3. Sunny Shower: ANSI Certified – Best Value for Money
- Shower Door Size: 48" W x 72" H. Width adjustment range: 46.5" - 48"....
- Design – It is in almost frameless design with 1/4" Thick Safety Clear...
- Double Sliding – Both sides door can sliding from "right" or "left" side...
A little short on your bathroom remodel budget? Don’t worry! You won’t have to be stuck with a cheap looking shower door because Sunny Shower has your back! This shower door is one of the most affordable ones of its kind in today’s market. It has a 1/4 inch ANSI certified clear tempered glass and aluminum side railings. The hardware is polished brushed Nickle, and the doors are reversible. This gives you the option to set up your shower doors to open either inwards or outwards.
While Sunny Shower recommends hiring a contractor, this shower door is easy enough to install as long as you know a few basic handyman skills. This product comes with a 5-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Easy to install
- Five years warranty
- The hinges that come in the package aren’t durable
4. Dreamline Enigma X: ClearMax Glass Protective Coating – Elegance in Simplicity
- Model Size: 56-60 in. W x 76 in. H; Walk-In Opening: 22-26 in.
- Configuration consists of: Stationary Panel and Sliding Door; Fully...
- Premium 3/8 in. (10mm) thick certified clear tempered glass; DreamLine...
Next on our list is the beautiful Enigma X frameless sliding door from Dreamline. This product is made with 10mm ANSI certified clear tempered glass that has been treated with ClearMax glass protective coating. This treatment protects the glass from limescale build up. It comes with brushed stainless-steel hardware which makes it even more elegant looking.
The Dreamline Enigma X is completely frameless thus giving the illusion that your bathroom is an entirely open space. The hinges and sliding mechanism are designed in such a way that they look like accents to the door rather than critical components to the door.
The opening of this door is entirely reversible. Meaning, you can choose between a left or right-hand installation. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Beautifully designed
- The glass is treated with anti-limescale technology
- Fully frameless
- Not suitable to be installed against uneven walls
5. Dreamline Unidoor: Single Panel Swing Door – Timeless Elegance
- Model Size: 30 in. W x 72 in. H; Walk-in Opening: 29 in.
- Configuration: Single panel swing shower door
- Premium 3/8 in. (10mm) thick certified tempered glass; DreamLine ClearMax...
This is another product from Dreamline – the Unidoor. If you have a small shower alcove and only need a single panel shower door, this is the perfect one for you! It will make a great addition to your bathroom if you’re going for a modern theme with a twist of timeless elegance.
Like most Dreamline shower doors, the Unidoor’s ANSI certified clear tempered glass has been treated with ClearMax technology. This means you won’t ever have to worry about limescale buildup and watermarks ruining your door. This measures at 30″ W x 72″ H and comes with satin black hardware fixtures.
- The clear glass repels water
- Allows for reversible installation
- Made in the USA
- The metal hardware appears to be of low quality
6. Dreamline Visions: H-Framed Sliding Shower Door – Brushed Nickle Hardware
- Model Size: 56 - 60 in. W x 72 in. H; Hardware Finish: Brushed Nickel
- Walk-In Opening: 22 7/8 - 26 7/8 in.
- Center-opening dual sliding door design allows for ample entry
Being one of the biggest manufacturers of shower doors, it shouldn’t be surprising that the last product on our list is another one from Dreamline. The Visions frameless shower door is a 4-panel set. However, only the two panels in the middle slide open while the two on either side remain stationary. Like most Dreamline products, this shower door is beautifully made and will automatically add luxury and sophistication to your bathroom.
The ¼ inch ANSI certified clear glass doors are highly durable but are also light at the same time. This means you won’t have to worry about the weight of the glass putting too much strain on the roller system. While this product comes with a highly detailed installation manual, we highly recommend that you hire a professional to install it as it will require 2-3 people to hold the glass upright.
- Perfect for large shower areas
- Hardware is made from anodized aluminum and brushed Nickle finish
- You might need to hire a professional to install it for you
The Complete Guide to Buying the Best Frameless Shower Door
Shopping for a shower door can be a difficult feat because it is easy to get overwhelmed by the number of options you can choose from. To make things easier for you, we’ve written down all the information you need to know to make the best buying decision when purchasing a frameless shower door for your bathroom. Now let’s begin!
What are the different types of shower doors?
It is crucial that you already have an idea of what type of shower door you’d like to install in your bathroom before you walk into a home center or start shopping around the internet. This is because you can easily get lost in the number of choices available and you’ll probably end up feeling confused. Or worse, you end up purchasing a shower door that is entirely different from what you planned on getting in the first place.
To prevent this from happening, it is crucial that you equip yourself with the proper knowledge. It starts with knowing the different types of shower doors. We’ve broken it down into the various aspects you need to look at to make it easier to understand.
- Sliding – this type of shower door is perfect for those who have a relatively small bathroom and don’t have enough clearance space to swing the door open. This is also a great choice if you are looking to mount a shower door on to your bathtub. A sliding shower door is usually comprised of two panels which overlap when you slide one open.
- Hinged – hinged shower doors are much like the other doors in your home. Depending on the doors you decide to purchase, the hinges are either installed directly on a wall or on another panel that comes with the package. This type of door adds a modern twist to an otherwise classic take on doors.
- Neo-angle – this type of shower door is meant for small bathrooms where the shower area is located in the corner. There are two panels on each of the outer edges, and the doors are in between. The doors can either be sliding or hinged.
- Folding – folding shower doors can either be bi-fold or tri-fold. Choosing between the two will depend on the size of your shower. You have a relatively large shower area (check our buying guide on shower bases); a tri-fold door will work for you. These have hinges and work pretty much the same way as accordion doors do.
Things to Consider when Choosing a Shower Door for Your Bathroom
Aside from deciding on what type of shower door will work best for your bathroom, there are a couple of more things you need to consider:
Framed Vs. Frameless Shower Door: Which is Best?
Another thing you need to think about when choosing a shower door is whether you’d like to go with framed or frameless.
Frameless shower doors are undeniably much more modern and elegant looking (see some examples here). However, since they don’t have the additional support of a frame, the glass is generally much thicker and heavier. Another thing you need to keep in mind is that while these are usually made from tempered glass, you still need to take extra care in opening and closing the doors and even when installing them as they are much easier to break.
A framed shower door on the hand is considered a little old-fashioned. This is actually unfair because most framed shower doors these days are designed to fit modern bathrooms. However, you also need to keep in mind that framed shower doors will require some sort of maintenance work after a couple of years when the silicone seal breaks and when you start noticing leaks on the outside of your shower area.
Type of Glass Finish
- Clear – if you’re a fan of the sleek and modern look, a clear glass door is for you! This type of glass finish is perfect if you are claustrophobic or aren’t keen on installing a door that would somehow divide the space of your bathroom because this will allow you to have an unobstructed view of the entire room. However, you need to remember that it can take some work to keep the glass looking like new so be prepared to spend some extra time and energy when cleaning your bathroom.
- Frosted (like these ones on Pinterest)– now if you’re a little shy and would still like some light to shine through your shower doors, go for frosted glass. Keep in mind that the intensity of the “frost” can vary. Some can come out almost see-through while others can be a little too “dark” for your liking. Some are even tinted. Make sure to clear it up with the manufacturer, so you don’t end up feeling disappointed when you receive your doors.
- Textured – textured glass doors can come in a variety of designs. You can choose from raindrops, bamboo, flowers, tree trunks, and so on. Textured glass doors are usually frosted, but the intensity will depend on the design of your choice.
Additional Things to Consider
- Hardware – most of the hardware that comes with shower doors are made from stainless steel because this material is resistant to rust. To make it aesthetically pleasing, manufacturers give it a different finish. The most popular finishes are brushed Nickle, chrome, painted, and so on.
- Ventilation – the amount of ventilation in your bathroom also plays a role when you’re trying to decide on a shower door. If you don’t have enough air circulating in your bathroom, installing floor to ceiling shower door panels may not be a good idea because you’ll be trapping in moisture which can lead to mold and mildew buildup.
- Structure of your bathroom – this is one of the most important things you need to consider when buying a shower door. If you aren’t too versed in this aspect, you need to have a professional evaluate the structure of your walls, the type of installation that’s most suitable for your space, and the exact measurements of your shower area.
- Features included in the package – if you want to save on your purchase, you’ll want to look at the add-ons included in the package. For one thing, you’ll want to see if the manufacturer includes an anti-mildew, anti-mold, or anti-watermark treatment for your glass. You’ll also want to see if it comes with some free bathroom fixtures like towel rails and shelves.
Do you really need a frameless shower door?
There is no simple answer to this question. In general, frameless shower doors are more expensive then framed ones. But is it worth paying extra for?
If you want to make sure that your bathroom ends up looking luxurious and elegant with the addition of a frameless shower door, then the answer is yes! Frameless shower doors are definitely worth the investment.
But you aren’t too focused on aesthetics or prefer a more durable option, sticking with framed shower doors would be more to your advantage.
Tips for Keeping the Glass of Your Frameless Shower Doors Crystal Clear
Installing a frameless shower door in your bathroom is an easy and quick way to add some elegance into the space. However, you need to keep in mind that a little work is required to keep it looking like new. Otherwise, you’ll just be stuck with a water-stained, scum-ridden piece of glass in your bathroom.
Don’t worry, it doesn’t take hours to clean frameless shower doors. You only need to invest a couple of minutes of your time each day to carry out some tasks to ensure that mold, mildew, and watermarks don’t ruin your doors.
Here are a few tips:
- Hose down any traces off soap on the glass – get your handheld showerhead and direct the water on to the areas of the glass where soap and shampoo suds may have landed. Leaving these to dry on the glass will eventually lead to stains and marks caused by soap scum.
- Wipe the glass dry after every use – don’t worry, you won’t have to get down on your knees with a rag to do this. All you need is a squeegee. A quick pass over the glass will remove any water droplets which may dry and leave watermarks on the glass.
- Use mild cleaning agents – before you start shopping for some fancy cleaning agents, keep in mind that the glass on your shower doors may have been pre-treated with anti-mildew, anti-mold, or anti-water stain technology. Using strong cleaning agents may strip the glass of its protective layer which will lead to more problems in the future. Most of the time, a mixture of vinegar and water is enough to keep the glass panels clean.
- Always use microfibre cloths – never attempt to wipe down your glass doors with anything but microfibre cloths. Rough cloth may cause minuscule scratches which might be unnoticeable at first, but if used often enough, you’ll slowly see your glass becoming cloudy.
- Deep clean once a week – you need to deep clean your shower area at least once a week. Since this area is relatively enclosed and gets wet often, it is prone to mold and mildew growth. To prevent these from reaching your frameless glass shower doors, regular deep cleaning is important.
- Get the glass treated – while the glass may have already undergone water-repellant treatment when it was being manufactured, it is essential to keep in mind that the protective layer will wear off at some point. Make sure to research on glass treatments you can take advantage of to maintain the beauty of your doors. The same can be said about the hardware. Neglecting them will eventually lead to rust buildup so make sure to spray some WD-40 on them every so often.
- Make sure your bathroom is adequately ventilated – opening the window of your bathroom for a couple of hours each day will ensure that air is appropriately circulating in the room. If your window is too small, you may want to invest in an air exhaust vent.
Our Final Words on Frameless Shower Doors
Whether you are looking to do a full bathroom remodel or simply just want to add a door to your shower area, frameless shower doors are a quick and easy fix to an outdated looking bathroom. Installing one will instantly transform the space and give it a refreshingly modern look.
Thanks to modern technology, it is now easy to purchase a frameless shower door and find very detailed instructions on how to install it from the internet. However, keep in mind that since you’ve already spent money in buying the door, it may be to your advantage to shell out a little bit more and just hire a professional contractor to install it for you. This is especially true if you aren’t really much of a handyman and don’t have an extra pair of hands that can help you in your project.