Aromatherapy has been around for thousands of years. Ancient civilizations have been tapping on the benefits of burning herbs and flowers to treat various illness. It continues to be a part of traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine to this day. But it wasn’t until recently that its popularity has reached households all over the world.
People today have it a lot easier than how it was during the ancient times. We no longer have to forage in the forest for rare plants and flowers. In fact, we don’t even have to go out to our garden to pick some herbs! Plus, we won’t have to worry about burning the house down because we won’t even need to light a fire to enjoy aromatherapy! This is all thanks to essential oils and aromatherapy diffusers.
If you’re new to the aromatherapy scene and are about to purchase your first diffuser, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve reviewed the 7 best aromatherapy diffusers for large rooms and written a complete buying guide to help you make the best buying decision. Read on to learn everything you need to know about aromatherapy diffusers and to see our top 7 recommended products!
Best Aromatherapy Diffuser Reviews
1. OliveTech: Elegance and Functionality in One – Best Looking Diffuser
- Unique Design:With classic wood grain finish, add drops of your favorite...
- Timer Setting and Mist Control: 4 timer- 1H/ 3H/ 6H/ Continuous modes....
- Soothing Light: It can be used as an ambient light, the brightness is...
The OliveTech aromatherapy diffuser is one of the best diffusers you can buy in today’s market. With the 400ml water tank capacity, you won’t have to worry about having to refill the tank all the time. It is also equipped with a timer which you can set to 1hr, 4hrs, 6hrs, or On for continuous diffusing. The best part is that it is also programmed with an Auto Shutoff feature that is activated once the water level inside the tank falls too low. This diffuser works great as a mood lamp too because it comes with 7 soothing colored LED lights which you can cycle through or freeze to only one color. You also adjust the brightness and the hue (as well as turn it off) with just one push of a button.
The OliveTech aromatherapy diffuser will blend well in any room – whether it’s at your home or in your office. Its elegant wood grain flower vase design makes it look like it is a decoration piece rather than an appliance. Of course, the winning feature of this product is its ability to produce enough mist to effectively diffuse your favorite oils in a big room.
Pros and Cons of OliveTech
- Powerful mist
- Large water capacity
- Beautiful elegant design
- Diffuses oils too quickly, you will have to add more every few hours.
2. Exqline: Super Large Water Capacity – Dual Function
- 【Super Large Capacity & Longer Running Time】- 1500ml (almost 1/2...
- 【Effortless Usage & Switchable Lighting Mode】 - This large diffuser for...
- 【Adjustable Vapor & Whisper Quiet Operation】- Vapor comes out from side...
The Exqline diffuser is the perfect choice if you are looking for one that will continuously run overnight. It has a 1500ml water tank capacity which allows it to run continuously for 10 to 20 hours. What sets this product apart is the fact that it can function as an aromatherapy diffuser and a humidifier. It utilizes an advanced ultrasonic technology for effectively diffusing essential oils in a room as big as 450sq.ft. As a humidifier, it can accommodate rooms measuring 350sq.ft.
One of the best parts about this product is you have full control over the mist output as it comes with 5 mist settings which you can adjust with just a turn of a knob. You can also adjust the nozzle to the direction where you want the mist to go with the 360-degree swivel side vapor nozzle. The Exqline diffuser comes with 7 ambiance enhancing switchable LED lights.
Pros and Cons of Exqline
- ½ Gallon Water Tank Capacity
- Also works as a humidifier
- Whisper quiet design
- Does not have a timer
3. Pryzma Essentials: Ultrasonic Diffuser with Bluetooth Speaker
- PRYZMA ESSENTIALS AROMATHERAPY BLUETOOTH SPEAKER ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER...
- ULTRASONIC MIST: Mist using diffusers for essential oils brings clarity,...
- 7 LED THERAPY COLOR CHANGING LIGHT. Our aroma diffuser LED light can be set...
Next on our list is an offering from Pryzma Essentials. This is one of the best diffusers your money can buy. Its ultrasonic diffusing technology will allow you to enjoy not just the aroma of your favorite essential oils but you’ll also get to play your most loved tunes through the Bluetooth speaker. This diffuser comes with 7 LED mood lights which you can set to light to just a specific color or change around.
With a 200ml water tank capacity, the Pryzma can continuously diffuse for 7 hours before you need to refill. However, since it diffuses about 30ml of moisture per hour, essential and fragrance oils dissipate pretty quickly so you need to add a few drops every couple of hours.
Pros and Cons of Pryzma Essentials
- Super quiet operation
- 4.0 Bluetooth connectivity
- 7 hours continuous function
- No timer
4. Urpower: Large water capacity – Long operation time
- Whisper-Quiet Ultrasonic Operation Adopted advanced ultrasonic technology,...
- Auto Shut-Off function Gives you peace of mind when using the diffuser, as...
- Intelligent and Safe Automatically turn off the diffuser when the diffuser...
Unlike the other products on our list, the Urpower aromatherapy diffuser is square in shape. While some people may prefer their diffusers to be shaped like a vase, this one is perfect for those who have modern themed homes because it’s simple and gives off a very Zen-like vibe. You can just place it in one corner and it will look like it fits right into your minimalistic décor.
This diffuser supports a 20-hour continuous operation time and you have full control over the intensity of the mist because it has low and high function buttons. Like the other diffusers on our list, this comes with 7 LED lights which you can use to add some ambient mood lighting to any room. It is equipped with an auto shut off feature which is triggered once the water level falls low.
- Unique design
- High and low mist control
- Up to 20-hours continuous operation
- Only supports continuous function, no timer.
5. Vida Essentials: Beautiful Natural Wood Grain Design
- BIG RELAXING AROMATHERAPY MACHINE is the ultimate Essential Oil Diffuser...
- NEW BEAUTIFUL LIGHT WOOD DESIGN gives you a relaxing light brown that...
- RUNS CONTINUOUSLY FOR 10-12 HOURS! Thanks to the huge 600ml capacity you...
If you prefer a more natural look for your diffuser, this is the perfect one for you! The Vida Essentials aromatherapy diffuser has a beautiful natural wood grain finish and is shaped like a round vase. It will go perfectly in any room because of its comfy design.
This diffuser has a 600 ml water tank and can support continuous function of up to 12 hours. You can control the amount of mist it produces. This makes it perfect for use with almost every type of essential oil as you can adjust the intensity of the diffusion. The only thing that’s missing in this diffuser are the LED lights. While this may be a disadvantage to some, others may see it as a plus point because not everyone likes mood lights.
- Beautiful design
- 12+ hours of operation
- Mist control
- No LED mood lights
6. Innogear: A Multifunctional Diffuser – Also Works as an Air Purifier
- 300ml Perfect Capacity: With the perfect volume of 300ml water tank, you...
- 4 Countdown Timers: Press on mist button to choose timer from...
- 2 Mist Modes: The mist flow is accurately controlled. 30-37ml/h in strong...
If you’ve been in the aromatherapy game long, you’d know that Innogear is one of the most trusted names in aromatherapy diffusers. This particular model is an aromatherapy diffuser and an air purifier in one. It is an upgraded version of the model that came before it.
This Innogear product has almost everything you need in a diffuser. It comes with a 300ml water tank capacity, an auto waterless shut off, a mist control button, 7 LED lights for ambient lighting, an air purifier function, and a beautiful wood grain finish. If there’s one thing that’s lacking in this product, it would a timer. However, it works really great in continuous operation.
- Also works as an air purifier
- Mist control button
- 7 LED mood lights
- No timer
Everything You Need to Know About Aromatherapy Diffusers
What are diffusers and how is it used in aromatherapy?
Before we can discuss what diffusers are, it’s important that you first understand what aromatherapy is.
Aromatherapy is an alternative form of medical treatment. It has been around since ancient times and has slowly grown in popularity over the recent years because more and more people want to veer away from chemically laden medications.
The idea behind aromatherapy is, once you inhale certain scents produced by certain essential oils which are known to have therapeutic effects towards specific diseases, your body responds to the stimuli by producing hormones which will address certain illnesses. You know how when you get a whiff of an aroma and you suddenly feel nostalgic? That’s how it is with aromatherapy. You can even use essential oils in your bath bombs.
There are different methods in aromatherapy:
- Direct application – this is when you dilute essential oils in a carrier oils so it will be safe enough to be directly applied to the skin. While this certainly helps, the absorption rate for essential oils is pretty low. Aside from this, extensive knowledge in the proper dilution of essential oils is imperative because improper dilution can cause more harm than good.
- Direct Inhalation – this is when you inhale the aroma of essential oils directly out of a bottle or through an inhaler filled with a cotton wick that has been infused with EOs. This is method is very effective however, there are some people who find the neat scent of essential oils to be too overwhelming. Plus, direct inhalation is not recommended for children.
- Aerial Diffusion – this is where diffusers come in. Aerial diffusion is done with the help of diffusers. A few drops of essential oils are placed in the water tank of a diffuser along with some water. The oils are then broken down by the ultrasonic waves produced by the diffuser and dispersed throughout a room through the mist vapor. There have been studies which suggest that aerial diffusion is the most effective mode application in aromatherapy.
What are the Different Types of Diffusers?
With so many types of aromatherapy diffusers available in the market today, choosing which one to buy can get very exhausting, not to mention confusing. The best way to ensure that you are picking the best aromatherapy diffuser for your needs is to know the different types available and how they differ from one another.
1. Nebulizing Diffuser
Otherwise known as waterless diffusers, this is probably the best type of diffuser to use in any room. It does not require water, does not emit heat, and has no plastic components within the diffusing vessel. This means, you will be getting the full benefits of the essential oils you are diffusing and you’ll also be able to use oils which are known to erode plastic.
The way it works is, the machine sucks in air and creates a pressure vacuum which then turns and blows the oil into a fine mist through the opening at the top of the tube. Most diffusers of this type come with a timer which you can set to blow out mist at regular intervals. This is perfect if you are diffusing essential oils because of its overall therapeutic benefits as intermittent diffusing is considered to be the most efficient way to utilizing essential oils.
2. Ultrasonic Diffusers
Ultrasonic diffusers are the most common type of diffuser you’ll see in today’s market. It utilizes electronic ultrasonic waves to break down essential oils so it will mix with the water vapor that’s being diffused to the air. Since this uses water, you will be diluting the essential oil thus reducing its effectiveness.
Aside from the issue of dilution, there’s also the fact that not all essential oils can be used with an ultrasonic diffuser because the water tank is made from plastic. Essential oils such as Lemon and Cinnamon are known to erode plastics and even metal so it’s important that you are familiar with the qualities of the EOs you are using.
Lastly, since most ultrasonic diffusers have an auto shut off feature once the water level in the tank falls low, you won’t be able to diffuse your EO to the last drop. You’ll also have to clean your diffuser regularly to ensure leftovers won’t clog the ultrasonic plate or erode the plastic in the water tank.
However, this is still the best type of diffuser out there especially for beginners because of its ease of use and affordability. Plus, because it utilizes water vapor, you’ll be able to use as a humidifier as well. Adding some moisture into the air is a great way to treat common coughs and colds.
3. Evaporative Diffusers
Evaporative diffusers are probably the most inexpensive type of diffuser out there. In fact, you can even DIY this! Since oils evaporate naturally over time, there’s really not much involved in evaporative diffusers. Those sold in the market may come with a small fan which is used to blow the vapors into the air, while others are packages composed of a bottle and some reed sticks.
The problem with evaporative diffusers is, some components in the oil are too heavy to evaporate naturally into the air. As such, you’ll see some sediments at the bottom of the bottle or dish after the lighter elements have already evaporated. In effect, you won’t get to enjoy the full benefits of your essential oils.
Evaporative diffusers are best used with fragrance oils.
4. Heat Diffusers
More commonly known as oil burners, heat diffusers have been around longer than electric ones. They are inexpensive to use but can be somewhat of a safety hazard. First, a tealight candle is needed to heat up the burner. Two, the oil and the water really does heat up. It is important to place it in a corner where there’s no risk of anything around it catching fire or anyone bumping into it and getting burned by the hot liquids.
Another disadvantage to heat diffusers is it is not advisable to use it with essential oils. Some essential oils are volatile and can be flammable. Aside from this, most EOs break down when heated therefore rendering its therapeutic effects useless.
However, oil burners make for really good decorative pieces. Plus, the dancing light from the candle really adds a romantic glow to any room which is why many still use it. If you must, stick with using fragrance oils in your heat diffuser.
What are the Benefits of Having an Aromatherapy Diffuser?
Some people may think that aromatherapy diffusers can do nothing more than just make a room smell good. The fact is, diffusing essential oils in aromatherapy diffusers bring with it a myriad of health benefits you can take advantage of. It’s all a matter of knowing what types of essential oils to diffuse.
Here are a few conditions health benefits you can get from diffusing essential oils:
- Stress and Anxiety Relief and Relaxation – Lavender, Clary Sage, Bergamot
- Insomnia Treatment – Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Ylang-ylang
- Relief of flu symptoms – Lemon, Peppermint, Spearmint, Eucalyptus, Fir Needle
- Immunity Booster – Peppermint, Lemon, Lavender, Frankincense
- Mood booster – Lavender, Frankincense, Vetiver, Wild Orange
- Insect repellant – Citronella, Lavender, Tea Tre, Lemongrass
- Antibacterial and antifungal – Tea Tree, Thyme, Oregano. You can diffuse these to get rid of mold growing on walls and ceilings in your home.
- Pain relief – Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Ginger
- Concentration and Mental Clarity – Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemon
- Treatment of Hormonal Imbalance – Basil, Geranium, Licorice, Lavender
What Size of Diffuser Should I Get for a Large Room?
A common misconception about aromatherapy diffusers is if have a large room, you need to get a big diffuser. This is not true. The truth is, unless your room is more than 1000 square feet, you won’t need a super large machine.
The size of aromatherapy diffusers is measured by the capacity of its water tank. However, it is not an indicator of the size of the room it can accommodate. The bigger the tank capacity, the longer it can operate continuously. Now in order to effectively diffuse aromatherapy oils throughout a large room, what you need to do is leave your diffuser running for long hours.
If you’re looking to purchase a diffuser to use in a really large room, look for the biggest water tank capacity you can afford. Or you can also get 2 diffusers with a smaller tank and place each one at opposite ends to ensure even diffusion throughout the room.
Do Aromatherapy Diffusers Need to Be Cleaned?
The simple answer to this question is yes, you need to clean your aromatherapy diffuser regularly to ensure it continues functioning properly. Minerals in the water and residue from oils can build up and clog the ultrasonic plate and cause your machine to malfunction. To avoid this, regular cleaning is a must! Here are the best ways to clean your diffuser:
- Rinse the water tank thoroughly with water and scrub the sides and the bottom with your hand. Don’t use soap!!! Make sure you don’t get the outlet or the bottom of your diffuser wet.
- After you’re done cleaning it, diffuse plain water continuously for 15 to 30 minutes. Then throw away the water, rinse again and you’re done!
- You can also add a couple of drops of Lemon essential oil or vinegar before diffusing. These have anti-bacterial properties and can help dislodge oil residue from the walls and the bottom of the water tank.
In Conclusion: Aromatherapy Diffusers are Worth the Investment
Having an aromatherapy diffuser in your home or office is one of the best ways to get the relaxation you are craving for without having to travel far or spend too much money. Aside from this, you can use your diffuser to treat other health conditions you may be having such as insomnia, anxiety, the flu, and so much more.
You can even use essential oils directly in your bath. The essential oils in your warm bath will act like a diffuser.
The secret to choosing the best aromatherapy diffuser for a large room is to do your research and read reviews on each product before making a purchase. Remember, you don’t necessarily need a diffuser with a large water tank capacity unless you want one that can handle continuous operation for long hours.
Lastly, to enjoy the full benefits of aromatherapy diffuser, it is also important to educate yourself with the types of oils you should use. Remember that not all oils have therapeutic effects so make sure to read up on essential oils and the therapeutic properties of each one.