Nothing beats coming home, lighting some candles, and taking a nice long bath after a stressful day at work. Candles are one of the best ways to transform your bathroom into a nice cozy space where you can unwind with a glass of wine while you sit in the bathtub. There’s just something about the soft flickering light and the warm luxurious smell of a lighted candle that sends you into a relaxed state.
But what exactly are bathroom candles? How do you choose one for your bathroom? Read our complete buying guide to learn everything you need to know about candles for your bathroom and also take a look at our review of the top 7 candles for 2018!
Our Reviews on the 7 Best Candles for Bathroom Spaces for 2018
1. XYUT All-Natural Aromatherapy Candle – For Stress and Anxiety Relief
- ALL NATURAL & HANDMADE- Made by hand in small batches by our team, our...
- 100% PURE BEESWAX CANDLE - Pure beeswax candles are considered to be the...
- THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OILS - Aromatherapy has many benefits such as...
The XYUT aromatherapy candle is made from 100% beeswax and infused with undiluted therapeutic grade lavender essential oil. This makes it one of the best candles for stress and anxiety relief. Since it is made from 100% beeswax, you don’t have to worry about inhaling toxic fumes. In fact, beeswax is known to produce negative ions as it burns thus purifying the air around you. On top of this, it is slow burning so you’re guaranteed that this candle will last you a long time.
You can light it in the bathroom as you relax and calm your senses while enjoying a luxurious bath, to help achieve a state of tranquility during a yoga or meditation session, or in your office when you need a little something to you get through a tough day at work. Because this candle is scented by therapeutic grade lavender essential oil, you don’t have to worry about it being too strong, unlike artificial lavender scents. It’s mild but heavenly scent is just enough to reinvigorate your mind and body.
- Made from all-natural ingredients
- Slow burning – 30+ hours
- Infused with therapeutic grade lavender essential oil
- You’ll need more than 1 candle for a big room
2. Aimasi Lilac Scented Candle – An Excellent Gift Idea
- Natural Soy Wax Candle: This lemongrass candle is made with naturally...
- Size: Each soy wax candle is 8.5 Oz /240g, 9 CMs Diameter & burns for 60-65...
- Outdoor and Indoor: Place the scented gift candle outdoor and indoor, such...
If there was an award for the most beautifully presented candle for 2018, the Aimasi Lilac Scented Candle would surely take home the trophy. It comes in a tin can printed with blue and white floral patterns – which makes it look like it’s fine China. This makes it a fantastic gift idea for any occasion because it comes with a matching box as well. It will also be an excellent addition to your mantle, vanity table, or any part of your home really.
Don’t be fooled though because it’s not just a pretty face. The Aimasi lilac candle also packs in a lot of punch in the scent department. It gives off a fresh pleasant smell that will transport you to an open field that’s full of flowers in the Springtime. There’s no doubt that you will feel relaxed when you this candle burning in the corner. However, this candle does not contain any ingredients with therapeutic benefits such as essential oils. As such, we don’t recommend it if you’re looking for a candle to be used in aromatherapy.
- Made from biodegradable ingredients
- 65 to 70 hours burning time
- Prone to wick issues
3. Yankee Candle Limited Edition Autumn Wreath – For Fall and Winter
- Welcome the season with the spicy warmth of autumn leaves and cinnamon...
- Paraffin-grade wax delivers a clear, consistent burn. Wick: Wicks made with...
- 110-150 hours burn time
Autumn Wreath is a Yankee Candle seasonal scent which is only available during Fall and early Winter. As you may have already guessed, this candle’s scent is a mixture of apples, pumpkin, and warm spices – things you would smell during the holiday season. It’s great to burn all through the winter because it will make your home smell like you always have something sweet and delicious cooking in the oven. Plus, it awakens feelings of family, love, togetherness, hope, and gratitude – all things you feel during Christmas time. This candle really sets the mood for the holiday season.
Yankee Candle is one of the leading candle makers in the US and a favorite among scented candle enthusiasts. They’re known to produce high-quality candles which can really leave your entire home smelling fragrant. While Autumn Wreath has a considerable number of fans among Yankee Candle patrons, it can be a bit overpowering for some so if you aren’t a fan of the smell of cinnamon and cloves, it’s best if you just skipped this one.
- Made by a trusted brand
- 100 to 150 hours burning time
- Burns evenly
- The scent may be too overpowering for some
4. Bath and Body Works Stress Relief Candle – For Clarity and Stress Relief
- Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy EUCALYPTUS SPEARMINT Scented Candle 14.5...
- Exclusive blend of vegetable wax and wicks that won't burn out
- Burns approximately 25 - 45 hours and measures 4" wide x 3 1/2" tall
Bath and Body Works is known all over the world to be producers of scented candles which not only smell great but look great too! The Stress Relief candle is one of their most popular offerings – and with good reason!
This B&W candle contains is a mixture of eucalyptus and spearmint essential oils (read more about using eucalyptus in your shower here).These two scents promote relaxation of the mind and body but not to the point that you’ll feel sleepy. Rather, they make you feel relaxed enough to allow your mind to stay sharp and think more clearly. For this reason, the Stress Relief candle is a favorite among those who lead stressful lives like students studying for an exam and people who have fast-paced and stressful careers.
- You won’t have to burn it too long because the 3 wicks fill up a room with scent much faster
- Will burn for 25 – 45 hours
- Burns evenly
- Burns a lot faster than other candles
5. Bath and Body Works Relax Candle – For Relaxation
- Bath & Body Works 3 Wick Candle - Relax - Lavender & Cedarwood Aromatherapy...
Next on our list is another offering from Bath and Body Works. The Relax candle is a soy-based wax infused with a combination of high concentration lavender and cedarwood essential oils. Because it has 3 wicks, the candle burns fast and fill the room with a relaxing and luxurious aroma in just a few minutes. This means, you won’t have to keep your candle lit for very long thus allowing you to save.
The use of Lavender essential oil is very popular in aromatherapy treatments for stress, anxiety, insomnia, and many more. It helps calm the mind and relaxes tense muscles. On the other hand, cedarwood essential oil also has therapeutic benefits for the treatment of insomnia and stress because of its sedative properties. On top of this, it also has antifungal and insecticidal properties so you won’t just be addressing your need to relax when you light up this candle, but you will also be keeping mold, mildew, and pesky insects at bay.
- Pleasant relaxing aroma
- Helps in preventing growth of mold and mildew in the room
- Keeps insects such as mosquitoes and moths away
- Price point is a little on the higher end of the scale compared to other brands
6. Wax Oils Aromatherapy Candles – Perfect for the Budget
- For any Season, For any Reason - A sweet minty eucalyptus, our classic...
- Made in the USA
These Wax Oils aromatherapy candles come as a 3-piece set. It’s a perfect option for people on a budget because you get a little of everything. Considering that it’s handmade in the US, made from top quality ingredients, and infused with essential oils, you’re really getting the most out of your money. It makes for a great gift idea.
The Lavender candle is perfect for relaxation. You can light it up while in the bath or when you feel like having a quiet night and curling up with a good book. The Peppermint Eucalyptus candle is great for clarity, relaxation, and stress-relief which makes it excellent for late night study sessions. The last is the Vanilla candle. It gives off a warm sweet-smelling aroma that relaxes your mind and body.
- Infused with essential oils
- Each candle can burn for more than 20 hours
- Prone to wick problems which lead to the wax melting unevenly
7. OnlyWax Scented Candles – The Perfect Gift Set
Sold as a two-piece set, the OnlyWax scented candles come in Lavender and Vanilla. Made from 100% soy wax, these candles are guaranteed to give a clean, even burn so you don’t have to worry about inhaling black smoke or getting soot marks on your walls. The ingredients are completely biodegradable which means you won’t have to worry about harming the environment either. The wax is infused with pure Lavender and Vanilla essential oils which guarantees that you’ll be enjoying a mild but aromatic fragrance when you burn your candle.
The OnlyWax aromatherapy set comes in an elegant box which makes it perfect for gift giving no matter the occasion. What’s even more beautiful is how the candles are presented inside the box. Nothing about it will make you think that it was cheap.
- Elegant packaging
- Great value for money
- 100% Biodegradable
- The scent can be too overpowering for some
Everything You Need to Know About Bathroom Aromatherapy Candles
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is an alternative treatment method that has been around for many centuries. It involves the use of oils extracted from plants and herbs in treating various illnesses by inhaling their aroma. There are three methods of absorption in aromatherapy – inhalation, absorption, and absorption through the skin. Over the years, products infused with essential oils like massage oils, incense sticks, candles, and many more have come out in the market thus making aromatherapy very popular and much more accessible to people from all walks of life. Aside from this, in-depth information on this alternative form of treatment is readily available over the internet. As such, more and more people are now preferring aromatherapy over traditional forms of medical treatment for certain ailments.
How Do Aromatherapy Candles Work?
The idea behind aromatherapy is when we inhale certain scents, it triggers a response in our brain which then signals our glands to release hormones we need to cope with whatever our body is dealing with. Lavender essential oil, for example, is one of the most versatile EOs in aromatherapy (you can use lavender in your warm bath). It’s been proven to help with insomnia, anxiety, and stress. This is why lavender aromatherapy candles are very popular – they can help with getting you into a relaxed state. Plus, they make your house smell really good.
Benefits of Burning Aromatherapy Candles
Aromatherapy candles are not only used for its soft warm glow and pleasant smell. Research has shown that ancient Egyptians used essential oils in their baths and on their skin to take advantage of the myriads of benefits they offer. These days, candles are just one of the many ways we can enjoy the power of aromatherapy. Here are some of the benefits of aromatherapy candles:
- Stress Relief – Candles which are infused with lavender, sandalwood, and cedarwood essential oils provide an almost immediate effect in relieving the body of stress and tension.
- Mental balance – When you feel a little overwhelmed with work or during a heavy study session, burn a candle that smells of peppermint, eucalyptus, or basil. These herbs are great for providing mental clarity and rejuvenating the senses.
- Anger Management – If you’re feeling a pissed off and are about to explode, light up a sweet orange scented candle. It will immediately help you calm down and invoke feelings of joy.
- Insomnia treatment – Dealing with insomnia can be hard and sometimes, prescription drugs are the only way to go about treating it. However, research has shown that aromatherapy candles can help. Burning a candle that’s infused with cedarwood, lavender, or Roman chamomile essential oils can help put you in a calm and sedative state thus allowing you to sleep.
- Insect Repellant – Have an insect issue? No problem! Gone are the days when you’d have to resort to applying insect repellant lotion to your skin. All you need to do is burn a citronella candle and they’ll leave you alone.
Burning Candles in the Bathroom
One of the best ways to unwind after a long and stressful day is by taking a bath. There’s just something about letting the warm water run over your skin that makes you feel like all the day’s stress and worry are being washed away. Why not elevate this experience by adding scented candles in your bathroom?
It’s no secret that bathroom lighting can be a little harsh. This won’t help in getting you into the relaxed state that you’re looking for after a particularly difficult day. The ambient lighting from burning candles will instantly transform your bathroom from a utilitarian space to a warm and cozy environment.
Of course, there’s also the fact that aromatherapy candles can make your bathroom smell fantastic.
Choosing Candles for Your Bathroom
There is a long list of candles you can choose for your bathroom. However, it is important to know a few things before you go in a candle buying spree so you don’t end up purchasing the wrong one. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The size of your bathroom – it is important to take into account the size of your bathroom before you purchase a candle. This is because the scent of some candles can be a little overwhelming for a small confined space.
- Scent – When it comes to choosing the right scent for bathroom candles, the first thing you need to consider is what exactly do you hope to achieve when you light them up. You see, aromatherapy candles are not just candles. Their scent plays a heavy role in swinging your mood and mental state to the right direction. If you’re looking for a candle to burn while you enjoy a nice long soak in the tub, it’s best to stick to vanilla or lavender scented candles.
- Candle holders – This is something you need to consider because your answer to this question will determine which type of candles you should get. If you don’t have candle holders, it’s best to stick with candles that come in jars or tin cans. Are holders important? Yes, candle holders are important to have especially if you’re burning your candle in the bathroom. This will protect your candle from getting splashed and also prevent wax from dripping and ruining your bathroom counter. Lastly, a candle holder can really add an elegant touch to your bathroom.
- Budget – It’s no secret that scented candles can be a little expensive. But this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t get to enjoy their benefits just because you’re on a budget. Brands like Yankee Candles are known to produce high-quality but affordable candles. Make sure to do some research and compare prices so you know you’re getting the best value for your money.
Bathroom Candles in a Nutshell: Are they Worth it?
Now that we’ve gone through everything you need to know about bathroom candles, the question that might be on your mind is – are they really worth it? The simple answer is yes, they are definitely worth the investment. However, it is important to remember that not all candles are made the same which is why it is important to do your research on a specific brand and read reviews before you make a purchase. Once you’ve experienced the benefits of having aromatherapy candles in your bathroom, you’ll be wondering how you could have managed all those years without them!
Read more about using essentials oils in your bath for an even more relaxing moment with candles.